Due to natural disasters in the United States, India, and the Caribbean islands, we are experiencing site closures in some areas. We are working diligently to contact all affected candidates by email and phone. If you have questions about your appointment, please contact customer service. We appreciate your patience.
American Society of Military Comptrollers Testing
The American Society of Military Comptrollers (ASMC) offers the Certified Defense Financial Manager (CDFM) educational program and certification designation to those persons desiring to demonstrate proficiency in the core aspects of defense financial management. The DoD Authorization Act FY2012 signed by President Obama empowers the Secretary of Defense to “... prescribe professional certification and credential standards” for the financial management community. The CDFM is one of the professional certification programs recognized by the DoD.
Before scheduling to take the CDFM exam, you must:
While most candidates in the CDFM program are civilian or military/reserve members of the Department of Defense, U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Army, U.S. Air Force, U.S. Navy, U.S. Marine Corps or employees of defense contractors or suppliers, the CDFM program is open to all candidates who have a high school diploma (or equivalent) and meet the following work experience qualifications:
Have the required number of years of defense-related financial management experience outlined below:
- Two (2) years if you hold an Associate’s degree or higher; or
- Three (3) years if you do not have a degree.
Do not have defense-related financial management experience, but can meet the criteria outlined below:
- Four (4) years of Federal government-related financial management experience; and
- An Associate’s degree or higher.
If you wish to reschedule your exam, you must contact Pearson VUE 4 business days prior to your scheduled appointment.
Rescheduling between 1-3 business days prior to your appointment will result in assessing a $50 rescheduling fee.
Rescheduling less than 24 hours prior to your appointment will result in forfeiting your exam fees.
If you wish to cancel your exam, you must contact Pearson VUE 1 business prior to your scheduled appointment. A $95 cancellation fee will be assessed.
Cancelling an exam less than 24 hours prior to your appointment or missing your exam will result in forfeiting your exam fees.
Earning your CDFM
There are three steps involved with earning your CDFM:
- Enroll in the CDFM Program. Your enrollment is valid for two (2) years, during which time you must take, and successfully pass, the three CDFM module examinations.
- Submit Your Verification of Financial Management Experience Form. This form, which must be signed by a supervisor who can verify your work experience, must be returned to ASMC after enrolling in the CDFM program. You do not have to submit this form prior to taking a CDFM examination, but it is required prior to the awarding of the CDFM designation.
- Purchase and Schedule the CDFM Examinations. Be sure to carefully – and completely – read the criteria associated with each testing option for the CDFM examinations. Failure to do so can result in the purchase of the wrong CDFM examination and/or the inability to test at your preferred location.
For more information about the CDFM program, please visit: www.asmconline.org/certification/cdfm-information/
Scheduling for a computer-based exam
Once you receive your authorization to test email, it is your responsibility to make an appointment to take the exam during a testing window. Exam appointments may be scheduled up to one business day in advance. Space at testing locations are limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis.
After you schedule your test, Pearson VUE will send a confirmation letter listing your test date, your testing time, the address and phone number of the test center, and directions to the test center.
If you choose to schedule online, you will have to create a Pearson VUE web account. When creating your account and scheduling your exam, you will need your ASMC candidate ID number from your authorization to test email.