The NCLEX® Examination
Under the guidance of its membership, the National Council of State Boards of Nursing, Inc. (NCSBN®) develops and administers two nurse licensure examinations; the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN®) and the National Council Licensure Examination for Practical Nurses (NCLEX-PN®)*. These two examinations are used by the Boards of Nursing/Regulatory Bodies to test entry-level nursing competence of candidates for licensure/registration as Registered Nurses and as Licensed Practical/Vocational Nurses*. The NCLEX examinations are provided exclusively as computerized adaptive tests.
- Candidate Bulletin and Information
- NCLEX® International, U.S. and Canadian Educational Program Codes (950 KB pdf)
- NCLEX® State/Territory Abbreviations and International Country Codes (1.1 MB pdf)
- Online Tutorial for NCLEX® Examinations (76.9 MB exe)
Please note that the tutorial is the same for both the NCLEX-RN and NCLEX-PN* examinations with the exception that the exam time will reflect the correct time allotted for the exam type.
- Palm Vein FAQ for NCLEX® Candidates (597 KB pdf)
- Submit an application for licensure/registration to the board of nursing/regulatory body where you wish to be licensed/registered.
- Meet all of the board of nursing’s/regulatory body’s eligibility requirements to take the NCLEX Examination.
- Register and pay for the NCLEX examination with Pearson VUE.
- Receive eligibility from your board of nursing/regulatory body.
Attention: Please make sure that you check your spam and junk folders as it is possible that candidate correspondence from Pearson VUE could automatically go to one of these folders. All correspondence from Pearson VUE will end with “@pearson.com”.
Visit ncsbn.org for a complete overview of the NCLEX® examination process.
Once you have been made eligible and received your ATT, you may schedule your examination using the following options. You must test within the validity dates of your ATT. These validity dates cannot be extended for any reason. Appointments may be made up to one business day in advance.
Attention: Please make sure that you check your spam and junk folders as it is possible that any of the communications from Pearson VUE could automatically go to one of these folders.
Change Board/Body Test Type or Exam Language
Please be advised when selecting a Board of Nursing/regulatory body for licensure/registration to make the appropriate choice. Requests to change the Board of Nursing/regulatory body must be made through customer service and will result in a $50 fee. In addition, any requests to change an examination type* will result in a $50 change fee. Finally, any requests to change the examination language** type will also result in a $50 change fee.
Testing Outside the United States
If you would like to schedule your NCLEX® examination at a test center outside of the United States or Canada, you must contact customer service for assistance. Anybody taking an examination outside of the United States or Canada will have to pay an international scheduling fee of $150 plus a Value Added Tax (VAT) where applicable.
*The NCLEX-PN is used for U.S. licensure only.
**For Canadian NCLEX candidates only.